20 May 2008

The "Farm" Bill

If I drew up a list of the 100 or so living Americans to whom I would most readily entrust the office of the Presidency, John McCain would not be among them. And if I drew up a second list, of similar length, of living Americans whose published writings and opinions carry the most weight with me, David Brooks of the New York Times would likewise not be among them.

Even so, Mr. Brooks' column published today ("Talking Versus Doing") is a brilliant indictment of the shabby, dishonest scam traveling through Washington under the name of the "Farm Bill." And included in that indictment is a concise statement from McCain himself, which he delivered yesterday:

It would be hard to find any single bill that better sums up why so many Americans in both parties are disappointed in the conduct of their government, and at times so disgusted by it.

Indeed it would. This is the sort of thing that McCain actually likes to sink his teeth into-- a government give-away "that benefits the particular at the expense of the general," in Brooks' words. With some imagination and grit-- and help from his partisans like Brooks-- McCain could make this one of the defining issues of the campaign.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often ponder the great "what-if" figures in American history, regarding if they indeed had won the presidency at some point.

My own short list, in no particular order:
--Henry Clay
--Bobby Kennedy
--Hubert Humphrey
--William Jennings Bryan (yes, even though he was a strict creationist- it was a different time)
--Al Gore (what would the state of the world be now if it was President Gore instead of the current dipshit?)

janemariemd said...

Very nicely stated and my sentiments also--I read the column too and am so riled up I might get me a McCain for President bumper sticker!

janemariemd said...

By the way, I think I found your blog via a comment you left on "Contentions".