30 May 2008

Time and chance

Sometimes I think that Ecclesiastes is the wisest book in the Bible. The randomness of life, the futility of it. The seeming pointlessness of it all... Just since my last entry, I have learned of the death of a certain young man whom I never met, and in fact had never known of his existence prior to his death. But I have seen the impact his death had on those of us still here. Emotionally, his passing has been devastating to numerous people, not least of all his brother who was with him at the moment of death.

I believe he was 27, possibly a year or two either way. He was in the Army, and had (I am so informed) volunteered to return for a second go-'round in Iraq even after his required time was up. (Please, take a moment to pause and reflect on that fact). Whatever dangers he faced in that unhappy nation-- he lived to tell the tale. He lived to return home to America (twice) and then to die in a senseless car accident. Apparently alcohol was involved. (That phrase-- "Alcohol was involved" -- has always sounded jarring to me. Makes it seem as if "alcohol" was a person that gets up and walks around and meddles in other people's business. If only.)
I made some comments about Ted Kennedy a few days ago, and I can't help but compare the thought of a young man dying amidst sudden and violent trauma, without so much as a moment's warning (possibly none at all), with the thought of an old man dying in bed, surrounded by family, but only after being "served notice" many weeks (months?) in advance, and only after being left to linger and watch death creep closer and closer. Which is "worse"? Which is easier to take? Which is sadder to think about?

For man also does not know his time: Like fish taken in a cruel net, Like birds caught in a snare, So the sons of men are snared in an evil time, When it suddenly falls upon them.
Ecc. 9:12

Ecclesiastes-- amongst other things-- always prompts me to think about time. How little of it we have. How little of it is put to any truly good use. I have actually felt some guilt for even taking the time to write down-- well, "type" down-- these little blog-entries. So many things I could be doing! Things I have promised others I would do, and am delaying by giving my attention to this...

No comments: