18 June 2008

Still Here. And how about that Tiger!

I knew it had been a few days but I was a bit surprised to see that "30 May" was the most recent date... Well, what can I say? My life is busy. All in all, I prefer that to the alternative. But this little project here is important to me-- you might say, it is not superfluous-- and I will try to tune in a bit more frequently from here on.

What's on my mind right now? How about that amazing US Open!! ... Now, let's be clear: Even if Tiger Woods had not competed in this tournament, even if he had announced his retirement a couple of weeks ago and never picked up another club so long as he lived, his legacy was already ironclad. His status as the greatest golfer of his generation-- and of many other generations, too-- was already secured. But this latest triumph, somehow, does cast him in a new light. I am not a golf expert but I think I know something about the history of the sport, and I would honestly say that Woods now stands as one of the three men in golf's history-- along with Nicklaus and Jones-- whose legacy will be remembered, cherished, and debated for as long as golf is played. Who can say when or whether a fourth will ever be added to that roster. Yes, I know there are some huge names left off-- Palmer, Snead, Hogan, Player, just to name a few off the top of my head. But still, when it's all said and done, the greatness of those four just does not quite measure up to the greatness of the other three.

Just today, I hear that Woods will undergo knee surgery and forgo any competitive golf for the rest of this year. He is 32 years old. Even for a man who keeps himself in superior condition, the human body simply does not recover at 32 the same way it did at 22. We should not blithely assume that Tiger's future-- his future on the course-- will be as dominant as his past. and yet, I sure wouldn't bet against him, either!

No comments: