21 May 2008

The Running-mates

So far as the major-party nominations for President are concerned, McCain effectively sealed the deal back on February 5th, and Obama did so on May 6th. The Clinton campaign of course staggers on like some un-killable zombie, but that does not put her any closer to the prize.

And so, with the #1-slots now determined, I do not think it is too soon to begin speculating on who will fill-out the lower half of the tickets.

Let me say right off that I hope for Chris Cox to be chosen as VP on the Republican side. There are other candidates who would be acceptable, but none that would really inspire me. But with that said, I do want to-- eventually-- provide some impartial comments about the relative strengths and weaknesses of the various possibilities.

Just for the moment, though, I think the front-runners are as follows:

Among the Republicans, in ABC-order: Chris Cox, Tim Pawlenty, Rob Portman, Mitt Romney and Mark Sanford.

Among the Democrats: Wesley Clark, Tim Kaine, Kathleen Sebelius, Ted Strickland and Tom Vilsack.

Three additional dark-horse possibilities for the GOP come to mind: Don Carcieri, Jon Huntsman and Mike Pence.

I have a strong sense that McCain will not choose Romney or Sanford. This is based on various media-reports as well as my own sense of where his private thinking on this issue probably is. As for Obama, his race (for the nomination) has ended much more recently, and I am still trying to draw a line on what his strategy will be for the fall campaign. But at least for now, I think there is a good chance he will choose one of the five I listed. Just as a wild-card, I might throw in Bill Richardson as another contender.

I absolutely intend to say more on this subject as the conventions draw near. In particular, I want to describe in some detail why I think Cox is the best choice for McCain.

No comments: